EBONews - Online Advertising and Marketing

Tips and information on advertising online, website promotion, business and marketing.

Sunday, November 28, 2004

Reciprocal Linking Tips

I have never asked another webmaster to exchange links. I have been online for 8 years and in the early days when reciprocal links started to become somewhat popular, I wasn't concerned about it all. It wasn't until some webmasters started asking to exchange links that I decided that it wouldn't hurt so I set up a page for it.

The past few years reciprocal linking has become extremely popular mostly because of Google's PR. Tons of articles were written about it. It seemed that everyone was jumping on the bandwagon. I started getting numerous requests everyday to exchange links.

My poor little Links page was becoming overloaded so I set up a new links directory with categories. Then the numerous requests became a daily abundance of requests for link exchanges. Some people would send me up to 25 or more links and ask for exchanges. One person actually asked me to add 100 links to my directory!

It was becoming a full day's job to keep up with all the requests. I was barely able to get anything else done. So I set up rules on my links directory page that I only accept 1 to 3 links per person. I also added an email address for links only, which included an autoresponder with the same message that I was limiting the amount of link requests per person. But people would still email me with the 25+ links. So evidently they weren't reading my links page.

So then I set up a form on my links directory's main page with the instructions that I only receive links requests through the form. Most people did follow that rule and submit their request through the form, but many still emailed me through my domain's main address, which showed me that they hadn't even visited my links directory.

In frustration and in need of time to get my own important work done, I temporarily suspended new link requests. I put this notice on my links directory's main page as well as on my site's front page close to the link for my domain's email address. But, I am still receiving numerous requests through that email address each day asking for exchanges. This leads me to believe that these people are not even visiting the front page of my site. They appear to be using some sort of directory that lists domains to contact for link exchanges.

If you want to do link exchanges right, I have some tips for you.

1) Visit the website first. Don't just search a directory or search engine using keywords for the type of sites you want to exchange links with. For you example, search for "home business" and when a site such as "http://www.url-about-homebusiness.com" comes up, you send off an email to "webmaster@url-about-homebusiness.com". This person may not accept reciprocal links or they may have specific rules about how to exchange links. If you don't visit the site first, this webmaster will know and disregard your email.

2) If the webmaster does accept reciprocal links, they will usually have an address for you to contact them. When you send off your email to ask for an exchange, always send your site's information in that email. Also, don't send the webmaster a link to your site's linking details. Webmasters are busy people. Don't make the webmaster have to email you back and ask for your site's linking details. Don't make the webmaster have to visit a link to get your site's linking details. I have received numerous link requests where they did not send their details. I had to either email back to get it or visit a link and most times that link didn't have the linking details, I had to search for another link on that page to find the information.

3) When you ask for a link exchange, give the webmaster time to add your link and reply back to you. Remember webmasters are busy people. Don't email back in a few days and say you are removing their link if they don't respond within 24 hours or so. Yes, I have received many emails like that. These are from people who never even visited my site and followed my linking rules. I just say "fine" and click "delete". That takes care of that.

If you follow the above tips, you will find many webmasters who are willing to exchange links with you.

As I said above, I have suspended new submissions to my links directory for the time being until I get caught up on my work. I do think link exchanges are important, however, if you have read the article I mentioned in my post the other day, Google is making changes to their search engine and one of those changes concerns link exchanges.

Google as well as Yahoo! and probably most search engines are looking for sites that are updated regularly with new content. Old links do not count anymore, the amount of links you have do not count anymore. Link farms are a no-no.

It is now important to keep your links directory up to date. I have not done that for quite some time. So for the past few days I have been going through the links in my directory and removing broken links. I made some amazing, or rather I should say disturbing discoveries while doing this. I will write about that either tomorrow or on Tuesday as I have to go Christmas shopping tomorrow and may not have the time. As well I will give you some tips on managing your links directory.